What is the Summer Institute?
The Summer Institute provides and promotes writing instruction for teachers of all grade levels and content areas. Participants focus on three related activities during the Institute:
- Collaborative, cutting edge teaching demonstrations designed to address the needs of student writers
- Study of current theory and research in the teaching of writing, reading, and thinking
- Practice in writing and responding to writing in small groups
When is the Summer Institute?
The 2022 Summer Institute will be held from June 6–23.
What can the Summer Institute do for me?
As a Teacher Consultant, you will become part of the lively, collegial Ozarks Writing Project (OWP) community. This network offers:
- Resources and programs for deepening your knowledge about the teaching of writing and literacy issues
- Opportunities to grow as a writer
- Ongoing support to realize new projects and initiatives
- Access to professional development programs in schools, summer programs for teachers, Young Writer’s Camps, teacher research programs, special interest groups and advocacy
Every student deserves a highly-skilled teacher of writing.
How do I apply for the Summer Institute?
Who is eligible for the Summer Institute?
OWP seeks exemplary teachers K-16 from all content areas. Selection is based on these criteria:
- Commitment to writing as a way to learn and to communicate learning
- Potential for leadership
- Recommendation from a building administrator or department head
If you meet these eligibility requirements, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. The Application Review Process is as follows:
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee made up of OWP participants representing various regions and educational levels.
- In selecting new participants, the selection committee will strive for a balanced distribution of teachers from different grade levels (K-College), subject-area disciplines, and geographical regions.
The application process will normally include an interview as a final step prior to the participant appointment.
Nominate a Colleague
Do you work with a colleague you would like to nominate for OWP’s 2021 Summer Institute? We are seeking teachers who desire to improve their writing instruction through study of best practice principles. Our aim is to recruit dedicated, compassionate educators who are ready to become teacher-leaders.