What is the Summer Institute?
The Summer Institute provides and promotes writing instruction for teachers of all grade levels and content areas. Participants focus on three related activities during the Institute:
- Collaborative, cutting edge teaching demonstrations designed to address the needs of student writers
- Study of current theory and research in the teaching of writing, reading, and thinking
- Practice in writing and responding to writing in small groups
What can the Summer Institute do for me?
As a Teacher Consultant, you will become part of the lively, collegial Ozarks Writing Project (OWP) community. This network offers:
- Resources and programs for deepening your knowledge about the teaching of writing and literacy issues
- Opportunities to grow as a writer
- Ongoing support to realize new projects and initiatives
- Access to professional development programs in schools, summer programs for teachers, Young Writer’s Camps, teacher research programs, special interest groups and advocacy
Every student deserves a highly-skilled teacher of writing.
How do I apply for the Summer Institute?
STEP 1: Follow the link below to let us know you are interested in becoming a participant.
STEP 2: Prepare the following materials in a single application package:
- A Letter of Application which describes:
- How and why you use writing in the classroom
- Your goals as a learner
- What you hope to gain from and contribute to the Summer Institute
- A Professional Resume
- A Letter of Recommendation from a principal, department head, Ozarks Writing Project (OWP) Teacher Consultant, or other administrator qualified to comment on your teaching and professional work
STEP 3: Submit your application materials to OWP@MissouriState.edu.
Who is eligible for the Summer Institute?
OWP seeks exemplary teachers K-16 from all content areas. Selection is based on these criteria:
- Commitment to writing as a way to learn and to communicate learning
- Potential for leadership
- Recommendation from a building administrator or department head
If you meet these eligibility requirements, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. The Application Review Process is as follows:
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee made up of OWP participants representing various regions and educational levels.
- In selecting new participants, the selection committee will strive for a balanced distribution of teachers from different grade levels (K-College), subject-area disciplines, and geographical regions.
The application process will normally include an interview as a final step prior to the participant appointment.
Nominate a Colleague
Do you work with a colleague you would like to nominate for OWP’s 2018 Summer Institute? We are seeking teachers who desire to improve their writing instruction through study of best practice principles. Our aim is to recruit dedicated, compassionate educators who are ready to become teacher-leaders.